Title: "Refugee Paths: Mapping Refugee Stories 100 Years After 1922"
School Year: 2021 – 2022
After a relevant approval from the Greek Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs and on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Asia Minor Catastrophe in 1922, Spotlight on Innovation (SpotIn) organized and implemented the 1st Panhellenic Map Competition entitled “Refugee Paths – Mapping refugee stories 100 years after 1922”. The scope of the Competition was to record the personal stories of the refugees and to display their route through the use of digital maps. Under the guidance of their teachers, students of primary and high schools in Greece and abroad were asked to trace in their family and broader environment archival material, personal stories and testimonies of the refugees of 1922, who were forced to leave their ancestral homes and settled as refugees in Greece. They were then trained by SpotIn on the use of GIS software (ArcGIS Online), which was granted to schools free of charge, and they recorded and narrated the course of each narrative on Storymaps, accompanied by rich audiovisual material and narratives, thus composing the timeline of each path in the digital environment.
- exploratory/experiential learning of history
- enhancement of discovery learning, spatial thinking and geospatial storytelling
- educational seminars on the use of geospatial information in schools
- detailed educational material for creating narratives with the help of electronic maps (storymaps)
- 97 stories (storymaps) forming an extremely rich digital library
- a large learning community of 36 schools, 52 teachers and 375 students throughout Greece, who met, were trained, explored and collaborated creatively, jointly contributing to the preservation of historical memory
Spotlight on Innovation (Spotin) is a non-profit organization that serves as a meeting point for the promotion of innovation in various fields of action to the benefit of society. Special emphasis is given on the use of new technologies, synthesis and visualization of information through mapping applications and geospatial storytelling.